HOTC Obedience Classes
Basic Requirements and General Information:
- All handlers must present documentation of age appropriate immunization for their dogs/puppies at the first class of the cycle.
- Handlers are asked to wear comfortable clothing and shoes with backs (ex: tennis shoes).
- All classes are based on a reward system, so handlers are asked to bring a variety of soft treats with which to train (ex. sliced string cheese, sliced microwaved hot dogs, soft commercial treats)
- Puppy and Manners 101 classes conduct orientation on the first night of the class cycle without dogs/puppies present.
- Some equipment is provided in the Puppy and Manners 101 classes. Additional equipment is available for purchase in our Pro Shop.
- All obedience classes last 50 minutes and are 8 weeks in duration.
- Clicker based training may be introduced and utilized in some classes.
- All Instructors have a wealth of knowledge in many areas of positive and reward based training,
- We do not train dogs. We train you to train your dogs. All classes are taught in a group setting with between 8 and 10 dogs/puppies and a ratio of one assistant per 3 dogs.
- All dogs/puppies must exhibit good health
- Our group setting is not ideal for training every dog/handler team. If you and your dog have issues that are beyond the scope of the class, we may ask that you work with private instructors outside of HOTC to resolve them prior to resuming group lessons.
Owners are strongly encouraged NOT to enroll multiple dogs from the same home into a single class. In many cases, the dogs are more focused on one another than on their handlers, and may become disruptive when asked to work independently. If this becomes a significant issue, the handlers will be asked to choose which dog should drop the class. No refunds will be issued.
As with all HOTC classes we emphasize the building of a relationship between you and your puppy. This is achieved through positive methods.
Prerequisites: Puppies must be between the ages of 8 weeks (2 months) and 18 weeks (4.5 months) on the first day of class.
In puppy class we will cover the following plus much more:
- Socialization between other puppies and people
- Walking on a leash
- Coming when called
- Name recognition
- Games to build the handler/puppy relationship
- Good health practices. (ex. Clipping nails, grooming)
- Crate training
- Confidence building by exposing puppy to various situations and objects
This class provides students with the skills and knowledge needed to help their dogs become well-behaved members of the family and community. Instructors will assist you in training your dog through the use of positive training methods, problem-solving techniques, and relationship-building exercises.
Prerequisites: Dogs must be over the age of 18 weeks (4.5 months) on the first day of class.
In Manners 101 we will cover the following plus much more:
- Attention/focus exercises
- Sit, Down, Stay
- Moving recalls
- Walking on a loose leash
- Problem solving (ex. Excessive barking, jumping on people, playful nipping, housetraining, etc.)
- Sitting politely for petting
- Standing for examination (great for the groomer and vet)
- Relationship building games
- Off-leash recalls
- Heeling basics
- Health issues
- Address crates as a positive and useful tool
Beyond Manners is a progression of the Manners 101 class. You and your dog will refine the skills learned in Manners 101, working at increased levels of difficulty and distractions. The class will also cover problem-solving techniques for eliminating unwanted behavior. The Beyond Manners curriculum is somewhat flexible, depending on the needs of the dogs and handlers in each class.
Prerequisites: Dogs must be over the age of 18 weeks (4.5 months), have completed Manners 101 (or demonstrate skills to fulfill the Manners 101 goals ),
Topics/skills covered may include (but aren't limited to):
- Improved attention/focus
- Walking on a loose leash with distractions (ex. toys, other dog/handlers passing, etc)
- Sit and down stay with added, distraction, duration, distance
- Exposure to various objects in day to day life such as baby carriages, wheelchairs, etc
- Utilize sounds CDs, baby crying, fireworks, thunder storms
- Advanced problem solving (ex. Ignoring items that are dropped, counter surfing, gaining confidence of the shy dog, calming the over exuberant dog)
- Coming when called in various situations off and on lead
- Door manners and proper greeting behaviors
- Practicing specific tests for the Canine Good Citizen Test
- Incorporation of games to solve behavior issues
Pre Novice is for the dog and handler that have the desire to participate in AKC Obedience Trials.
Prerequisites: Dog over the age of 18 weeks (4.5 months) and have completed Beyond Manners, or demonstrated skills required to fulfill the Beyond Manners class.
In Pre Novice we will cover the following plus much more:
- More refined heeling
- Recalls with Straight sit in front
- Stand and be examined with handler at the end of the leash
- Introduce the finish exercise (dog returns to heel position on command after a recall and sit in front)
- Teaching the figure 8 exercise
- Attention while heeling with minor distractions
- Sit stay (1 minute on 6' lead), down stay (1 minute on 6' lead)
- Sit stay get your leash
- Introduction to what is required to enter and show in Novice Obedience.
COMPETITION OBEDIENCE SKILLS
For the trainer who wants to train more than one skill set at a time (Novice, Open, or Utility).
Prerequisites: Dog over the age of 6 months, Pre-Novice
This class is for the handler who wants to get ready for the Obedience ring but wants to work on skills for all classes. The class will teach skills where needed or do a run through when the trainer is ready to show.
This class covers multiple levels of competition-style obedience exercises as well as other types of training. Its purpose is to maintain general obedience and other training levels for dogs that may or may not plan to show for titles. Exercises are drawn from Novice, Beyond Manners, Open and Utility obedience levels as well as introduction to other sports and certifications such as Fit Dog, tricks, freestyle and other things deemed appropriate for and interesting to the class members.
Novice Class prepares dog and handler teams for competition in AKC obedience trials leading to a Companion Dog (CD) title.
Prerequisites: Dog over the age of 6 months, Pre-Novice, or demonstrated skills required to fulfill the Pre-Novice class.
Novice/Open Class prepares dog and handler teams for competition in AKC obedience trials leading to a Companion Dog (CD) and Companion Dog Excellent (CDX) title.
Prerequisites: Dog over the age of 6 months, Pre-Novice, or demonstrated skills required to fulfill the Pre-Novice class. The dog must have a well-defined understanding of heeling, left, right, and about turns, including change of pace.
Open Class prepares dog and handler teams for competition in AKC obedience trials leading to a Companion Dog Excellent (CDX) title.
Prerequisites: Dog over the age 1 year , Must have 2 qualifying scores in Novice, CD title or have trained a dog to this level (with permission of Instructor).
Utility Class prepares dog and handler teams for competition in AKC obedience trials leading to Utility Dog (UD), Utility Dog Excellent (UDX), and Obedience Trial Champion (OTCH) titles.
Prerequisites: Dog over the age 1 year , Must have 2 qualifying scores in Open, CDX title or have trained a dog to this level (with permission of Instructor).
Canine Freestyle is a creative interaction of obedience and trick behaviors combined with music and pulled together with choreography. Beginning freestyle emphasizes teaching creative behaviors to the dogs. The handler is usually in a casual or animated posture while moving with the dog. No dance experience expected on the part of the handler.
Prerequisites: Dog over the age of 18 weeks (4.5 months), Pre Novice, Introduction to Rally and instructor approval.
Advanced Freestyle is for the dog handler team that have the desire to compete in canine freestyle.
Prerequisites: Dog over the age of 1 year, Freestyle Skills and Instructor approval.